About Us

You are here

Values, Mission & Vision

Our Lady of Lebanon Sanctuary belongs to the Maronite Patriarchate and the Holy See represented by the Apostolic Nunciature in Lebanon who entrusted its administration to the Congregation of Lebanese Maronite Missionaries since its foundation in 1904. The shrine guardians constitute an apostolic missionary group, in accordance with constitution of the Congregation of Maronite Lebanese Missionaries.

This Sanctuary is:

An International Pilgrimage Site

Our Lady of Lebanon Sanctuary, one of the most important centers in the world for honoring Virgin Mary, draws thousands of believers from all over the world each year. As one of the Marian International Sanctuaries, it advocates for peace, and AIDS, breast cancer, diabetes, and drug addiction victims, and road safety, etc. during some of the World Days observed by the Holy-See and the UNO.

A National Site

As this Sanctuary is considered to be the ultimate place for honoring the Virgin Mary by both Christians and Muslims, its guardians host regular workshops to promote Lebanese internal reconciliation and nurture communication among all communities, thus strengthening concepts of acceptance of others, appreciation of diversity, and community life. From its location in Daroun-Harissa, Our Lady of Lebanon Sanctuary also aims at insuring the social development of surrounding communities and villages.

A Holy Place

Honoring the Virgin Mary is a major element of the spiritual life of the vast majority of believers, regardless of the religious community they would belong to. Consequently, the missionaries in charge of the administration of Our Lady of Lebanon Sanctuary work at positively reinforcing relations among all local Churches as well as different Christian communities and apostolic movements. They undertake developing spiritual and pastoral relations with all Church groups, dioceses and parishes of Lebanon by making the shrine a place open to the Church’s activities, helping it fulfill its goals, and spreading volunteering as a religious value. Through these accomplishments, the Sanctuary aims at intensifying believers’ spiritual life and contributing to the salvation of their souls.

A Marial Sanctuary

Relying on the theory as well as the practice of Mariology, guardians of the Sanctuary provide proper understanding and honoring of the Blessed Virgin. They focus on the lead of Virgin Mary of believers towards Jesus as well as on her veneration, the reverence and worship of God and the sound interpretation of the Catholic Church regarding miracles, visions, vows and other forms of piety.

A Touristic Place

Amidst a pine forest, overlooking the Bay of Jounieh, one of the most attractive panoramic views in the world, Our Lady of Lebanon Sanctuary is famous for its geographical location. The Ministry of Tourism has classified it as one of the most beautiful touristic sites in Lebanon, and works on attracting both Arab and foreign tourists.

The Sanctuary, a founder and active member of the “Association for the Development of Pilgrimage and Religious Tourism”, promotes the culture of religious tourism amongst Lebanese residents and emigrants as well as visiting tourists. It offers Christian and non-Christian visitors the opportunity to discover the principles of Christianity, the oriental ecclesiastic treasures and the position held by the Blessed Mary within the Church.



Father Younen OBEID, M.L.
Vice Rector
Father Khalil ALWAN, M.L.
Father Antonios EL BAZOUNY, M.L.
Secretary of Religious community
Father Youhanna Yechouh EL KHOURY, M.L.
Member of Religious community
Father Philipe YAZBECK, M.L.
Member of Religious community
Father Elie ANDARI, M.L.
Member of Religious community
Father Sami RACHED, M.L.
Member of Religious community
Father Habib KALAKECH, M.L.
Member of Religious community
Father Saiid IRANI, M.L.

Our Churches

Mother of light’s church

This little chapel is the famous place of worship and contains the statue of the Mother of the light sculptured on the Century Anniversary of the Immaculate Conception and fifty years after founding the shrine of Our Lady of Lebanon in 1904.
This chapel forms the lower section of the tower upon which the statue of Our Lady of Lebanon stands.

On the occasion of 150th anniversary of the apparition of the Virgin Mary in Lourdes, the statue of the Mother of Light has visited more than 426 villages across Lebanon between late May and late October 1954. Then in 2013 and to occasion of the consecration of Lebanon at the heart of the Virgin Mary, the same statue visited, in the second round, 333 towns and villages in Lebanon.


The idea of building a large church in the vicinity of the sanctuary of Our Lady of Lebanon was originally conceptualized in the sixties. The Shape of the Basilica is a cross between a Lebanese cedar tree and a Phoenician ship. Thanks to its hefty dimensions, 115 meters long, 67 meters wide, while its dome rises 62 meters above the ground, it stands out on top of a mountain that overlooks the famous city jounieh. It can seat up to 3500 comfortably, all of whom can contemplate the original sanctuary of Our Lady of Lebanon through a twenty-meter wide and forty-two meter high glass window behind the altar. Since the 1980’s, many religious ceremonies have been celebrated in the Basilica, especially, during May, the holy month of Mary. The Pope John-Paul II visited the Basilica 10th of May 1997.

The Basilica was renovated in 2013 and was rededicated on the occasion of the consecration of Lebanon at the heart of the Virgin Mary, 16 July 2013.

Our Lady of Lourdes Church

Located beneath the frontal part of the Basilica, it was originally called a crypt. His Holiness Pope John Paul II dedicated this chapel a statue of the Virgin of Lourdes.

Today, it bears the name of our Lady of Lourdes. The stained glass window portrayed to the left and right of the Altar, the Holy Family and the Twelve Apostles.

It can accommodate up to 300 people seated.

Forgiveness Chapel

The stained glass windows and marbled floors contribute to its exquisite architecture. The stained glass window behind the Altar depicts Jesus carrying the lost sheep on his shoulders. Our Lady of LebanonInaugurated on 1997, is the most recent Chapel in the complex of

As depicted, many come to the Forgiveness Chapel seeking spiritual guidance and confession.

Our Lady of Lebanon Statue

The location of the Shrine which overlooks the Bay of Jounieh is considered one of the world’s most beautiful sceneries.
The statue made with molten Bronze, painted white, gave the statue more splendor and clarity. The statue is 8.50m in height, 5.50m in perimeter and weighs 15 tons.
One of the most beautiful art pieces that portray the Virgin Mary manufactured in France. The statue was elevated in 1908 above the principal sanctuary. It is made up of seven sections that were assembled on top of the stone base which has the shape of a trunk, with a bottom perimeter of 64m, an upper perimeter of 12m and with an overall height of 20m.

The Congregation of Maronite Lebanese Missionaries

The Congregation of Maronite Lebanese Missionaries is a clerical congregation, of Patriarchal right, whose sons have professed the vows of the three evangelical counsels of obedience, chastity and poverty, in accordance with the sacred laws. It undertakes its spiritual and apostolic activities in harmony with the local ecclesiastical hierarchy in order to spread the faith and maintain it in our Maronite Church and the Universal Church. (CMLM Constitutions No. 1).


The Congregation of Maronite Lebanese Missionaries was established at Al-Kreim Monastery – Ghosta in 1865, through the prompt efforts of Father Youhanna Al-Habib (Later on, Honorary Bishop of Nazareth) with the help of many zealous priests, foremost of whom is Father Estephan Qozzah, the first Superior General and the spiritual father of the fledgling Congregation. “The most specific of reasons that prompted me to found the Congregation of Missionaries is my view that our present epoch has need for priests zealous for the spiritual welfare of the neighbor, detached from all but the endeavors at hand, preparing themselves, devoting their attention to this strive of formidable stature” (from the writings of the founder).

Motivated by zeal for the glory of God and the serving of his people, the Congregation committed itself since its inception to the mission in its broader sphere, especially in the fields of the service of the Word and catechesis aimed at proclaiming the mystery of Christ, realizing the Gospel of salvation, and supplying the people with every spiritual endeavor beneficial for their salvation.
‘A soldier’ for the sake of God and His kingdom, the mission is not limited to a field excluding others, but, extends from preaching and propagating the Gospel through all ways and means, to spiritual accompaniment in all its varieties, to the fields of education and enculturation of the youth at all levels, without any social class or faith discrimination.

The Congregation is vigilant in providing the best means for an integrated human, priestly and apostolic formation, in all its dimensions and at all levels and stages. For the assurance of bringing this sacred yet laborious task to its hoped-for conclusion, the Congregation produced the book Daleel At-Tanshi’a (The Formation Guide), to be in the hands of the missionaries as the best of guides and an incentive: enlightening, reminding and encouraging the missionary in his daily efforts and strive, “so that one who belongs to God may be competent, equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:17), “ambassadors for Christ, as if God were appealing through us” (2 Corinthians 5:20).

As soon as His Beatitude the Patriarch ratified the decree authorizing the launching of the Congregation on March 25, 1866, the first fathers turned, without prelude or delay, to the spiritual services they enlisted themselves for, and started roaming through the villages and cities, near and far. They were preaching, listening to confessions, providing catechesis to children, solving people’s problems and disputes, conducting spiritual retreats in schools, parishes and monasteries for all the different groups of the faithful and the fraternities of monks and nuns, parish priests and bishops. Their favors were made manifest, and the kreim and the mission became two names for one calling.
Since the specific aim of the Congregation is to serve Maronites, and its mission extends in every direction where there are Maronites (Canon 9), in no time, the missionaries had followed the sons and daughters of their Church to Syria, Palestine and Egypt and to the rest of the countries of expansion, thus realizing the wish of their founder: “The wish most dear to my heart is to see you before my death, spread in the East and throughout the whole world, just like Jesus’ disciples, announcing the Good News with generosity and disposition, not minding any need or toil, or danger or resistance, all for the love of the One who loved us and sacrificed Himself for our sake” (from the writings of the founder).

The Institutions of the Congregation in Lebanon

Throughout history, the Superior General headquarters moved between Al-Kreim Monastery – Ghosta, and the St. John the Beloved Monastery – Jounieh, and the College des Apôtres, in the College itself, or in a private wing inside the College campus.
The headquarters will return this year to settle at the Saint John the Beloved Monastery – Jounieh, once renovation work is completed after the destruction inflicted on the Monastery and its surroundings caused by the bombing of the Saout Al-Mahabba (Voice of Charity) the Radio Station on the night of May 6-7, 2005.


It is the Mother House. It is the cradle of the Congregation. It was founded in it, and from it, it was launched, and to it, it was linked. Presently, it is the monastery for the novitiate. Its erection dates back prior to 1716, and was constructed over the remains of a fortress or an old temple. Sheikh Abi Nader Daher Al-Khazen endowed it to the Armenian Antonine Congregation. The Armenian monks and their first Patriarch and bishops, who were flooding in from Aleppo at the start of their return into the arms of the Catholic Church, resided in it. When they left it and moved to Bzommar and to the Mar Antonios Khishbaouh Monastery – Ghazir, the founder bought it and the surrounding real estate on February 18, 1865. He refurbished it and endowed it to the Congregation, which was born and raised there.
Congregation constantly strove at expanding it and still does. Its church contains a very valuable piece of art, an icon dating back prior to the thirteenth century and is called the ‘Suffering Trinity’. It depicts the eternal Father embracing the crucified Christ, with the Holy Spirit in the bodily form of a dove settling over the gibbet of the cross.
When Al-Kreim Monastery – Ghosta became too crammed for its residents, and to facilitate transportation, and in announcing the expansion of the apostolic endeavor, the Congregation decided in 1901, to erect the St. John the Beloved Monastery in Jounieh. Immediately, the missionaries set out to perform their spiritual, social and educational role. Aside from their ecclesiastical services, from Masses, hearing confessions, preaching and seasonal spiritual retreats, they established in it fraternities, opened free schools for the poor children of Jounieh, founded the Catholic Youth Club, equipping it with an invaluable library to fight illiteracy and combat novelties and factions. They were vigilant to attend to the social concern by establishing the Refuge of the Poor Association following the model of the St. Vincent de Paul Society. In 1924, the printing press was established in the vicinity of the Monastery, the first fruit of which was the publishing of the book containing the statutes of the Congregation.
After accommodating the Maronite Patriarchal Tribunal, the whole Monastery was transformed so as to house the Saout Al-Mahabba (Voix de Charite) Radio Station, while keeping the church open for the sake of the faithful.
After relinquishing the ’Ain Waraka Patriarchal School in Ghosta, in June of 1939, which had been handed over in September 1935, in accordance with an agreement with its president, the curate Youhanna Estephan, the Congregation decided to open its own college in Jounieh and it was given the name Ma’had Ar-Russul (Collège des Apôtres) designed by the Russian Architect Igor Betlanko. While the new building was being constructed, the Khalil Maroun Building in the New Harbor quarter was leased to be a temporary school. Despite the eruption of World War II, in early September, 1939, work continued and the distinctively designed first wing of the College was completed and opened to students in October of 1940.
From then on, the College continued to grow with the years and expand through the building of new wings equipped with the most modern up to date apparatus, to become one of the biggest of colleges.
After obtaining permission and the blessing of His Beatitude the Patriarch, the Congregation bought, in 1964, a spacious piece of land in the village of Jouaar An-Nakhl – close to the city of Tyre – paid for from the funds and endowment of the ‘Maronite Orphanage established by the Late Ibrahim Nasrallah Al-Khoury’ placed under the guardianship of the Congregation of Maronite Lebanese Missionaries. In fulfilling the wishes of the endower, the uncle of Bishops Shukrallah and Abdallah Al-Khoury, the Congregation proceeded to establish a benevolent educational project it designated as the Cadmos School. This school opened its doors to both day and boarding elementary students in October, 1966. It rapidly grew and developed and expanded through the building of wing after wing to become a high school, one of the leading schools in the South of Lebanon; a springhead of good citizenry and a symbol of brotherly coexistence and cooperation between religions, in an environment whose residents are mostly from the sons and daughters of the respectable Shiite Moslem confession.
With the approval and the blessing of His Beatitude the Patriarch, and in accordance with a 99-year agreement, the Congregation was handed over control by His Excellency Bishop John Chedid, Bishop of the Maronites of Los Angeles, the United States, in his capacity as legal custodian of the endowment of Mar Mama – Edde, Al-Batroun, of some real estate deeds of that endowment. It was for the purpose of erecting a religious, apostolic and social center. After completing the necessary formalities and technical studies, the Congregation proceeded to reclaim some of the land areas for agriculture and to build a residential complex consisting of three wings: the first was completed in the autumn of 2001, and was occupied by the missionaries who devoted themselves to the apostolic endeavor in the region, and to helping parish priests, and the monasteries and the schools operated by nuns. In the autumn of 2003, the second wing was completed and was leased to one of the educational institutions. The third wing, still under construction, is reserved for apostolic activities.
Because of lack of space in the Superior General Headquarters in Jounieh and for the purpose of providing better means for the formation of our brothers, the candidates to the priesthood, it was decided in the summer of 1993, to move the Major Seminary to Harissa, close to the Shrine of our Lady of Lebanon in a special structure to be erected for that purpose.
After completing construction, the new monastery was inaugurated and blessed on September 27, 1996, by His Beatitude Mar Nasrallah Peter Sfeir, Patriarch of Antioch and all the East. Our seminarians and those in charge of their formation moved in at the beginning of the academic year 1996-1997. In the summer of 2003, the General Library of the Congregation with all its branches and contents was annexed to the Major Seminary. They were transported from the Superior General Headquarters Monastery at the Collège des Apôtres in Jounieh, all except for the manuscripts and the archives.
It is a threesome integrated institution specialized in the printing, publications and sale of literary and educational books and magazines, especially the religious and liturgical.
  • Al-Kreim Printing Press, founded in 1928. It developed with time, and is now being re-equipped with modern machinery and technology commensurate with the needs of the epoch and the raising of production standards.

  • Publications des Apôtres, founded in 1958, to undertake the publishing of scholastic books and the various types of educational publications.

  • Librairie Al-Kreim, started at first in Beirut, then part of the press complex was cleared to house it. It provides for its customers the various kinds of religious books and ecclesiastical vessels and such.


As a contribution to the mission of the pen, the Congregation embarked, ever since 1930, on issuing Al-Manara (The Lampstand), an educational, religious, all-encompassing magazine. It ceased operations from 1950 until 1981, when it resumed issuing and still does, three times a year, one edition of which is a special issue tackling one specific subject and edited by a select group of specialized persons, religious and lay.
The Congregation of Maronite Lebanese Missionaries started a radio station, the Voice of Charity, on the Feast of Pentecost in 1984. It is run by the priests of the Congregation in coordination with the Episcopal Committee for the Media. It operates under the supervision of the Conference of Catholic Patriarchs and Bishops in Lebanon. The station entered into a twinning relationship with Radio Maria – Italy. It is also in cooperation with the Communauté Francophone de Radios Chrétiennes (COFRAC), and broadcasts a daily program via Vatican Radio.

Its programs are instructional, spiritual, contemplative, recreational and educational. It broadcasts in eight languages aimed at all ages, all sectors of society and all people of good will. Program producers are bishops, priests, nuns, and lay people from all the various churches in Lebanon. It broadcasts its programs continuously, 24 hours a day, through the two FM frequencies of 105.8 and 106.2, covering all parts of Lebanon and the neighboring countries of the East. It is on the internet at the web address: www.radiocharity.org. Some years ago, it opened a special branch in Australia.

It was the target of an explosion on May 6, 2005, which led to its complete destruction and the loss of all its equipment and contents. Despite that, transmission did not cease, except for a few hours, and broadcasting resumed via a mobile unit, until the completion of its present headquarters, next to the St. John the Beloved Monastery.

As part of its apostolic aims, the Congregation undertook in 1992, a project to equip the upper floors of the St. John Center building, which is next to the Collège des Apôtres, in downtown Jounieh, as a residential center for students in two segregated sections, thus facilitating the study endeavor and continuing the human and Christian formation march in a healthy familial environment, with affinity and brotherly cooperation prevailing.

Overseeing the administration of the Foyer and providing all required necessities, especially spiritual direction, is one of the specialized missionary Fathers.

This center was formed in 1992, to fill a need and also in response to requests by many of the faithful who are eager to delve deeper into their Christian Faith, quenching their spiritual thirst. Its goal is to provide the appropriate religious and educational formation to adults of all ages and educational backgrounds, in addition to preparing catechists and activists specialized in the various fields of evangelization, youth associations and lay apostolic work movements.

Its courses are free. They are given in the lecture halls of the Collège des Apôtres – Jounieh every Friday evening at the hands of specialized missionaries in accordance with the directives of the Superior General, in conformity with the program set by the Episcopal Committee for Catechesis.

Its diplomas are ecclesiastical, official and sealed with the signature of the local ecclesiastical superior.

Congregation Centers outside Lebanon

Since the beginning of the twentieth century, missionaries have followed their Maronite brethren, the sons and daughters of their homeland Lebanon all the way to the countries of expansions, and established missions in city after city, in the service of the Gospel, the Church and society. Soon enough, mission houses became tantamount to a second home for every Lebanese and an embassy before there was one. In these centers, all would congregate, without division and discrimination, to become acquainted with each other and to collaborate, and to further clutch on to their religious beliefs, their social traditions and their national heritage.


When the number of missionary fathers did not exceed ten, the Superior General Father Youssef Moubarak heeded the request of His Beatitude the Patriarch and the Pontifical See. On May 8, 1901, the feast day of St. John the Beloved, the patron saint of the Congregation, it declared the appointment of Fathers Hanna Ghosn and Mikhael Hajjar to proceed to Argentina and establish a mission carrying the name of St. Maron, to serve the Maronites and the Lebanese immigrants. The two Fathers left on the Monday of Pentecost, May 27, to reach Buenos Aires on July 5, 1901, and launched the mission the very next day, Sunday July 6, with a very well attended Mass.

Despite all the hardships they encountered, the mission took off and grew, thanks to the support of many of the benevolent, Lebanese from all groups, and Argentineans. Afterwards, the number of missionaries began to increase. After nine decades, thirty missionaries were counted, priests and brothers, and they trickled in, in succession, to work laboriously and worthily in all religious, educational, cultural and national fields. They traveled throughout the vast Argentinean landscape, and in every city with a Maronite community, they established religious fraternities and social clubs. In the Argentinian capital, Buenos Aires, aside from the monastery, they built a small church which grew and is now a cathedral. It was consecrated and inaugurated by the Patriarch Cardinal Mar Nasrallah Peter Sfeir in 2001, on the occasion of the one hundredth Jubilee of the mission.

In 1904 an elementary school was formed. It became a secondary school in 1920. It is still teaching today, in addition to the official curriculum, Arabic and French for those desiring to learn them, and also the commercial sciences and accounting.

In 1913, the printing press and the newspaper Al-Murssal (The Missionary) were established. On April 28, 1959, an Apostolic Decree was issued mandating the erection of a diocese specific to the Eastern Churches headed personally by the head Bishop of the Catholic Church in Buenos Aires and the mission head was appointed Vicar General of the Maronites. On December 2, 1990, the head of the mission, Father Sharbel Merhi, was ordained in Bkerke as Bishop of the St. Sharbel Maronite Eparchy in Argentina.

In a first stage (1916-1952), at the request of the people and the permission of the ecclesiastical authorities, three missionaries worked in the United States: Father Francis Sham’oun (1874-1920), pastor of the St. Louis Parish in Missouri, 1916, where he died and was buried there in 1920; Father Boulos Al-Khoury (1900-1951), who served the Akron Parish in Ohio, where he died on February 28, 1951, and was buried there; and, Father Youssef Kmeid (1876-1952), who traveled for seven years (1920-1927) serving Lebanese communities throughout the States, settling to serve St. Maron Parish in the city of Cleveland, Ohio, until his death on June 29, 1952.

After a long break, and condescending at the insistence of the Shepherd of the new Maronite Eparchy, the missionaries returned in September of 1988, to study and to perform the apostolic service in numerous fields. They served existing parishes, developing them, and they established new ones and erected a permanent center for the Congregation in Houston, Texas. His Beatitude Patriarch Cardinal Mar Nasrallah Peter Sfeir visited the center on May 19-20, 2008.

The history of establishing the Johannesburg Mission goes back to 1927, with the appointment of Father Youssef Juan as a Patriarchal Visitor, and thereafter, the appointment of Father Boutros Al-’Alam as the proper pastor of the Maronite community through a Patriarchal Decree on September 21, 1928. He served very well until his death on June 13, 1962. He was succeeded by Father Mikhael Chebli and carried out the mission with zeal and purity in conduct throughout thirty years, until the Congregation was able to send a number of young priests who worked strenuously and diligently on developing the mission and erecting a new center on the east side, and another in the southern sector of the city. On February 10, 1992, Patriarch Cardinal Mar Nasrallah Peter Sfeir consecrated the Church of Our Lady of the Cedars. It was the first visit by a Maronite patriarch to this distant land. His Beatitude again graced with a second visit on May 7, 2008, to dedicate the Church and Shrine of Our Lady of Lebanon in the southern part of the city.
In the middle of June, 1931, Fathers Elias Maria Al-Ghorayeb (1881-1960), and Gibrayel Zaidan (1882-1963), came in from Argentina to Rio de Janeiro, the capital of Brazil at that time, for the purpose of establishing a mission there. On February 16, 1932, they were joined by Father Youssef Al-Hani (1894-1975), who would become Father Al-Ghorayeb’s traveling companion throughout more than thirty years. For, Father Gibrayel Zaidan was to leave them in the middle of August, 1937, having been appointed roaming missionary among the communities in all the republics of South America, with the Argentine mission in Buenos Aires as his base.
The missionaries worked laboriously and competently to launch the mission in Rio de Janeiro. Aside from the religious and social services, they built a school which closed after eleven years. They erected a monumental church and a mission house under the name of Our Lady of Lebanon. They were not able to establish Maronite parishes outside Rio de Janeiro due to a shortage in priests, but, they compensated for that with their seasonal pastoral visits to all regions, even the very remote ones, endeavoring to rally together the communities, establishing fraternities and clubs.
Father Al-Ghorayeb assumed quite a very illustrious stature in all circles and was appointed by Cardinal Camra, Head Bishop of Rio, as his Vicar General to deal with all the affairs of the Eastern Catholics, from Maronites to Syriacs to Chaldeans to Armenians. To perpetuate the memory of his glorious deeds and contributions, the municipality named a street after him. The mission is still prospering and those in authority are seeking to erect new centers as needs demand and capabilities allow.
At the request of the Shepherd of the Maronite Eparchy in Australia, Archbishop Youssef Hitti, the Congregation dispatched to Sydney in 1993, one of its sons, Father Sarkis Charbel (1957-2000), to aid in the pastoral service and to undertake mission endeavors. With increased needs, it became necessary to dispatch more missionaries, and they served many of the parishes and administered youth organizations and apostolic movements. They also established a branch of the Voice of Charity, broadcasting programs in Arabic and English. They strove to build a permanent center for the mission, which was inaugurated in 2004, under the name of St. John the Beloved, the patron saint of the Congregation.
Responding to pressing needs, and at the request of the Shepherd of the Eparchy, Archbishop Boulos Sayah, the Congregation agreed in 2005, to dispatch priests to serve the Lebanese in general and the Maronites in particular, especially those who left their southern border villages. They resided in the city of Nazareth at first, and from there, they began to roam through all the regions where the displaced are grouped. They are now based in Akko, carrying on with their apostolic endeavors.
Emanating from its gifts and in realization of its goals, the Congregation is presently striving to establish many new missions in response to zealous calls and in accordance with the capabilities at hand:
  1. In the City of Santo Domingo – The Dominican Republic;

  2. In the City of Bogotá – Columbia;

  3. In the City of Malmo – Sweden;

  4. In the City of Vienna – Austria;

  5. In the City of Guadalajara – Mexico; and,

  6. In the City of Mendoza – Argentina.

It is also in the process of establishing other new centers in Argentina, Brazil, South Africa and the United States of America.






History & Information


From Our Lady of Lebanon Sanctuary, you feel the sky embraces the Earth and places it into Mary’s heart. There, Mary radiates a glow around gloomy hearts and transforms a tiny spot like Harissa, into a haven for penitents, a consolation for sad people, a path for wanderers, and a guide and an oasis where tired souls can rest.

Meaning of “Harissa”

The word Harissa comes from the word Haras which means, in Arabic and Hebrew, a sharp blade, a knife, any cutting tool, or also, a sheer edge. And this corresponds to the nature of the hill on which stands the village, named by its inhabitants “Roueiss”. Therefore, some historians believe that the old Semitic word harissa means roueiss in Arabic, a steep-sided high hill.
Overlooking the bay of Jounieh, the Sanctuary is built on a 350 hectares piece of land, 650m high from sea level, and 26kms to the north of Beirut, in the Mohafazat of Mount Lebanon. As it neighbors the village of Daroun, it is part of the Kesrwan caza. It is also close to Bkerke, see of the Maronite Patriarchate. It is famous for its greenness, the multitude of its trees, the abundance and purity of its sources. It is the door to Paradise…

How it all started

On the fiftieth commemoration of the “Immaculate Conception” dogma declared by His Holiness Pope Pius IX in 1854, His Beatitude Maronite Patriarch Elias Hoayek and the Apostolic Nuncio Carlos Duval decided to erect a religious monument that would be a keepsake of this event.
According to Father Henri Jalabert sj, Lucien Cattin, Father Superior of the Jesuits in the Middle East at the time, suggested to raise a big statue of the Virgin that could be seen from far and that would illustrate the Honoring of and the attachment of the Lebanese people to Mary.
After the Patriarch and the Nuncio had sought advice from bishops, priests, monks and laics, the sanctuary was named “Our Lady of Lebanon”, and the project was launched.


After consulting with engineers who were authorities in the field, a place at the top of the Harissa hill called “the rock” was chosen to build the sanctuary, and the implementation phase got close. Committees began to raise funds in order to execute the project. The generosity of the Lebanese people conveyed their love for Mary.
After negotiations, Mr. Francis Yaacoub sold the land to the Patriarchate for the symbolic sum of fifty Ottoman Pounds.
The laying of the foundation-stone took place in October 1904, but work was interrupted for several reasons; one of them was the fear the land could not carry a monument of that size.
In 1907, Patriarch Hoayek and Msgr. Fridiano Giannini, the new Apostolic Nuncio, resumed the work and made some adjustments to the project such as enlarging the west side of the sanctuary.
To make sure the construction was carried out appropriately, a deed was signed in 1906 with a contracting company, as the first party and, as the second party, skilled master-artisan Ibrahim Makhlouf (from Ain el Rihaneh). The statue was built in 1907.
It is good to keep in mind that Father Chucrallah Khoury, Superior of the Lebanese Maronite Missionaries was from the beginning, the Patriarch’s right hand man in the management and the execution of the project. He was elected Father Superior of the Congregation, after the election of Father Youssef Moubarak as Bishop of the Saida Diocese.
With the help of the Apostolic Enunciator, and particularly Father Pere, Secretary of the Enunciator, and Cattin, Father Superior of the Jesuits, the Patriarch was able to overcome the financial problem – resulting from the volume and the cost of the project - by sending a letter to the Maronite “Wakfs” and charity organizations, asking them to pay a preset sum of money, to be collected by Father Chucrallah Khoury.
Building the Sanctuary and the statue cost approximately 50000 gold French francs, donated by believers; among them was a French lady who wished to remain anonymous and made a contribution of 16000 francs. The land was offered by the Maronite Patriarch and the Nuncio.
According to his last wishes, Bishop Duval’s body was transferred from Beirut to Our Lady of Lebanon Sanctuary. On the west wall of the shrine, is placed a commemorative marble plaque on which is engraved in the Latin language the history of the event, in appreciation of Duval’s love to the Virgin and his passion for her sanctuary in Lebanon.


To erect such a monument, a faraman (sultan’s decree) stating the approval of Ottoman authorities, ruling then, had to be issued. Mount Lebanon “Moutassaref”, Mouzher Bacha, sent a telegram asking for Istanbul consent and, almost miraculously, received a positive answer only a few hours later.
At the beginning of 1908, the shrine and the statue’s pedestal were executed under the supervision of Father Chucrallah Khoury, officially assigned by the Patriarch to take the lead on the project. Shortly after, Our Mother Mary’s statue was built, and inauguration took place on May 3rd, the first Sunday of that month.
At 10.00 am, Msgr. Giannini started the inaugural ceremony with prayers and then blessed the sanctuary and the statue, thanking God for an achievement that would nurture and develop real faith. The devoted assembly was informed of His holiness Pope Pius X’s message for the showering of heavenly blessings on all those who had had contributed to the execution of the project, or those who were attending the launching ceremony.
Amid the guests, were Lebanese Brigadier Barbar Beik El Khazen, representing Mount Lebanon “Moutassaref” Youssef Franco Bacha, and His Excellency Habib Beik Bitar, “Ca’im-macam” of the Caza of Kesrwan, as well as large crowds of believers and visitors.
The ceremony was followed by the holly mass, celebrated by Patriarch Hoayek, bishops, general superiors, representatives of congregations from oriental and western churches and many priests.
During his sermon, the Patriarch highlighted the Lebanese people love and devotion to Mary, and asked for her protection and her unfailing intercession. At the end of the mass, he led a solemn procession around the sanctuary, carrying the icon of the Holy Virgin. He declared first Sunday of May as the feast of Our Lady of Lebanon.
The Management of the Sanctuary 
Following the inaugural celebrations, as mentioned in Article 4 of the deed registered in Bkerke on January 18th, 1907, Maronite Patriarch and Apostolic Nuncio officially entrusted the management of Our Lady of Lebanon Sanctuary to the Lebanese Maronite Missionaries, through their general Superior, Father Youssef Moubarak, at the Enunciator’s  location in Harissa. 
It wasn’t too late in time when more lots of land were purchased in order to improve the facilities dedicated to serve the believers and visitors, and gradually, the shrine became what it is today, an international place for worship.

Shrine Description

An 8 by 8m chapel with a seating capacity of 100 people was built under the statue of Mary, the Mother of God. It was designed by famous French architect, Gio.
The wooden statue of Mary Mother of Light (that toured almost all Lebanese cities and villages in 1954) stands next to the square stone altar. On the middle of the tabernacle are engraved a cedar and bunches of grapes. Stained glass windows are decorated with the consecrated wafer’s symbols, grapes and wheat ears.
The seven-piece-bronze statue of Our Lady of Lebanon is 8,5m high, with a 5m diameter; it weighs 15 tons and is painted in white, for more splendor and magnificence. It was manufactured in Lyon (France), under the supervision of Mr. Durenne who escorted it to Beirut port at the end of July 1906.
The 20m high pedestal of the statue has the shape of a trunk sculpted in a natural stone. The lower diameter measures 64m and the top part, 20m. A 104 steps staircase was built to reach the top of the statue. (A drawing of the statue and its pedestal by famous painter Daoud Corm is kept in the basilica.)

Our Lady of Lebanon Basilica 

In 1956, a plastic and wooden tent was built on the west side of the shrine’s entrance in order to welcome the increasing number of believers and visitors for masses, especially throughout the month of May.
As a result, on the golden jubilee of the shrine, it was decided to build a bigger church, to accommodate the large crowds of believers.
On the 31 of May 1970, the foundation stone of the basilica – to be- was laid by His Beatitude Maronite Patriarch Paul-Pierre Meouchy, in presence of Lebanese President then, Charles Helou, and his Prime Minister Rachid Karame, ministers and deputies, Orthodox and Catholic Bishops and numerous believers.
From the start, Patriarch Meouchy handed over the management and the execution of the basilica to the Lebanese Maronite Missionaries through their Superior, Father Sassine Zeidan. He was assisted by an executive committee formed towards the end of 1968, following a meeting between Patriarch Meouchy and Father Sassine Zeidan.
This committee was comprised Father Sassine Zeidan (president), Lebanese Missionary, Father Youssef Andary, architect Adib Sader (secretary), pharmacist Cesar Chalhoub, engineer Emile Kayssar (Director General of the Ministry of Public Works), Joseph Salhab (Director General of the Ministry of Tourism), architect François Chemaly (President of the Municipality of Daroun-Harissa), and Fouad Boulos (President of Harissa teleferic’s council).
This committee worked to insure information, financial, architectural and logistical aspects of the project in order to start building. Architects were asked for detailed drawings and plans.

Choice of the Design

To choose the best design, Patriarch Meouchy and Nuncio Alfredo Bruniera constituted an arbitration committee composed of the Nuncio himself, Father Sassine Zeidan, representing Patriarch Meouchy, and five eminent architects: Georges Maroun, President the Order of Engineers and Architects, Henri Eddé, former President the Order of Engineers and Architects, Mitri Nammar, Director of the urban planning Department, and two other French architects.
After eliminating two of the four projects, and hesitating between choosing either José Husseini’s or Pierre Khoury’s proposals, the committee voted for the last one by four votes against three.

Construction Work

The construction work went on uninterruptedly, even in the hardest times. Once the leveling of the land was first achieved, the foundations were completed by June 1971, the walls and the esplanade were built, and the rest of the work continued.
Engineer Louis Cordahi executed some of the work, but the bigger part was accomplished by engineer Mouin Aoun and his team who – armed with faith and perseverance, and entrusted by Father Paul Najm, General Superior of the Missionaries - were able to built a high ceiling in the shape of a Phoenician boat with 64m long curved beams. To execute that part, engineers had to consult two French companies: one, to supervise the assembly of the scaffold and the other one, to assist in the design and the assembly of the immense glass front façade.


Notre Dame d'Afrique, Algiers


Our Lady of Meritxell


Our Lady of Luján, Luján, Buenos Aires Province

Our Lady of the Rosary of San Nicolás, San Nicolás de los Arroyos

Our Lady of Itatí, Itatí, Corrientes


St Mary's Cathedral, Sydney

Shrine of Our Lady of Yankalilla, South Australia

Shrine of Our Lady of Mercy, Penrose Park, New South Wales

Shrine of Our Lady Help of Christians, Canungra, Queensland


Basilika Maria Plain, Bergheim, Salzburg

Maria Schmolln, Braunau am Inn District, Upper Austria

Maria Taferl, Melk District, Lower Austria

Mariatrost Basilica, Graz, Styria

Mariazell Basilica, Mariazell, Styria

Marienbasilika Absam, Absam, Tirol


Our Lady of Banneux in Banneux, Liège

Our Lady of Beauraing in Beauraing, Namur

Holy Virgin in Halle, Flemish Brabant

Our Lady of Lourdes in Oostakker, East Flanders

Our Lady of Scherpenheuvel, Flemish Brabant

Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek, Tongeren, Limburg

Our Lady of Tongre, in Tongre-Notre-Dame, Hainaut


Basilica of Our Lady of Copacabana, Copacabana

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Our Lady of Međugorje in Međugorje, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Our Lady of Olovo in Olovo


Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady of Aparecida, Aparecida


Our Lady of Combermere in Ontario

Queen of The Holy Rosary Shrine in Ajax, Ontario

Our Lady of Czestochova Church in London, Ontario

Notre Dame du Cap in Cap de la Madeleine, Quebec


Our Lady of Andacollo, Andacollo


Our Lady of China in Donglu

The Virgin of Sheshan, Help of Christians in Sheshan

Our Lady of Bliss near Guiyang, China

The Church of Our Lady of the Rosary in Longtian

The Church of Our Lady of Lourdes in Qingyang


Our Lady of Las Lajas, Nariño Department

Our Lady of the Rosary of Chiquinquirá, Boyacá Department

Costa Rica

Basílica de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles, Cartago


Our Lady of Marija Bistrica in Marija Bistrica

Our Lady of Trsat in Rijeka

Our Lady of Sinj in Sinj

Our Lady of Voćin in Voćin

Our Lady of Aljmaš in Aljmaš

Our Lady of Gorica in Baška, island of Krk

Our Lady of Remete in Remete

Our Lady of Kloštar in Slavonski Kobaš


Our Lady of Charity, El Cobre, near Santiago de Cuba


Kykkos Monastery

Czech Republic

Pilgrimage Basilica of the Visitation of Our Lady, Hejnice

Dominican Republic

Our Lady of Altagracia (Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia),[2] in Higuey, La Altagracia, Dominican Republic.


National Shrine of Our Lady of El Cisne (Nuestra Señora de el Cisne)

National Shrine of Our Lady of the Presentation of El Quinche, El Quinche, Pichincha Province


Our Lady of Assiut

Our Lady of Warraq

Our Lady of Zeiton, apparitions of Virgin Mary on the Coptic Orthodox Church.


Ablain Saint Nazaire: Notre Dame de Lorette

Agde: Notre Dame de l'Agenouillade

Albi: Notre Dame de la Drèche

Amiens: Notre Dame Cathedral

Angoulème: Notre Dame D'Obézine

Annecy: Basilica of the Visitation

Antras: Notre Dame des neiges

Arras: Notre Dame des Ardents

Avioth: Notre Dame d'Avioth

Azay: Notre Dame de l'Agenouillée

Bégrolles-en-Mauges: Abbey of Bellefontaine

Bélestat: Notre Dame du Val d'amour

Blois: Notre Dame de la Trinité

Boquen: Monastère Notre Dame de la croix vivifiante

Boulogne-sur-Mer: Notre Dame de Boulogne

Cambrai: Notre Dame de Cambrai

Chartres: Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Chartres

Châtillon St Jean (26): Notre Dame monastery

Clermont Ferrand: Clermont-Ferrand Cathedral

Clermont Ferrand: Notre Dame du Port


Dému: Sanctuaire Notre-Dame du Bernet en Dému

Douvres la Délivrande: Notre Dame de la Délivrande

Err: Notre Dame d'Err

Ferrières: Notre Dame de Bethléem

Fontgombault: Abbaye Notre Dame

Friesenheim: Notre Dame de Neunkirch

Fronville: Notre Dame de la Bonne nouvelle

Grignan: Abbaye Notre Dame d'Aiguebelle

Honfleur: Notre Dame de grâce

Ile Bouchard: Notre Dame de la prière

Issoudun: Notre Dame du Sacré Coeur

La Blachere: Notre Dame du Bon secours

La Meilleraye-de-Bretagne: Abbaye Notre-Dame de Melleray

Landevenec: Notre Dame de Folgoat

Lanrivain: Notre Dame du Guiaudet

La Salette: Notre Dame de La Salette

La Trinité: Notre Dame de Laghet

Le Folgoet: Notre Dame du Folgoet

Le Faou: Notre Dame de Rumengol

Laus: Notre Dame du Laus

Le Puy en Velay

Lescure: Notre Dame de la Visitation

Liesse: Notre Dame cause de notre Joie

Lille: Notre Dame de la Treille

Lourdes: Notre Dame de Lourdes

Lyon: Notre Dame de Fourvière

Modane: Notre Dame de Charmaix

Monaco: Notre Dame Immaculée

Lure: Notre Dame de Lure attire un chantier de jeunes

Maisnière: Notre Dame du Chêne

Marciac: Notre Dame de la Croix

Marsan: Notre Dame de la Paix

Marsanne: Notre Dame du Fresneau

Mauriac: Notre Dame des Miracles

Monetiers les bains: Notre Dame du Mont Thabor

Montaigut: Notre Dame d'Alep

Montautour: Notre Dame du Roc

Montfort sur Meu: St Louis-Marie de Montfort

Montligeon: Notre Dame de Montligeon

Myans: Notre Dame de Myans

Neuilly: Notre Dame de Bonne Délivrance

Noirétable: Notre Dame de l'Hermitage

Villefranche-de-Rouergue: Notre Dame des Treize-Pierres

Ollioules: Notre Dame de Bonheur

Orcival: Notre Dame d'Orcival

Orléans: Notre Dame des Miracles

Paris: La médaille miraculeuse, Rue du Bac

Paris: Notre Dame de Paris

Paris: Notre Dame des Victoires

Pellevoisin: « Marie, mère de miséricorde »

Penne d'Agenay: Notre Dame de Peyragude

Perros-Guirec: Notre Dame de la Clarté

Pfaffenheim: Notre Dame du Schauenberg

Phalsbourg: Notre Dame de Bonnefontaine

Plancherine: Abbaye Notre Dame de Tamié

Plancoet: Notre Dame de Nazareth

Pontmain: Notre Dame de Pontmain

Pugny: Monastère Notre Dame de l'Unité

Quezac: Notre Dame de Quezac

Reims: la cathédrale de Reims

Le Testament de saint Rémi

Reiningue: Abbaye Notre-Dame d'Oelenberg

Ribeauville: Notre Dame de Dusenbach

Rocamadour: la Vierge de Majesté

Rodez (La Primaude): Notre Dame de Ceignac

Ronchamp: Notre Dame du haut

Rostrenen: Notre Dame du roncier

Saint Auvent: Notre Dame de la Paix

Saint Florent le Vieil: Notre Dame du Marillais

Saint Laurent du Pont: Monastère Notre Dame du Buisson Ardent

Saint-Laurent-les-Bains: Abbaye Notre-Dame des Neiges

Saint Laurent sur Sèvre: Basilique Saint Louis Marie de Montfort

Saint Martin de Belleville: Notre Dame de la Vie

Saint Omer: Notre-Dame des Miracles

Auray: Saint Anne d'Auray

Saint Romain d'Ay: Notre Dame d'Ay

Sari-Solenzara: Monastère de l'Assunta Gloriosa

Saumur: Notre Dame des Ardilliers

Saxon-Sion: Notre Dame de Sion

Soligny: Abbaye de la Trappe

Strasbourg: Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Strasbourg

Thiezac: Notre Dame de consolation

Thorame: Notre Dame de la fleur

Valenciennes: Notre Dame du Saint Cordon

Besses en Chandesse: Notre Dame de Vassivière

Venasque: Notre Dame de Vie

Verdelais: Notre Dame de Verdelais

Verdun: Cathédrale de Verdun

Violot: Notre Dame des Bois (Haute Marne)

Vion: Notre Dame du chêne

Vitreux: Abbaye Notre-Dame d'Acey

Wissembourg: Notre Dame de Weiler


Shrine of St. Mary, in Aachen Cathedral. This church, frequently referred to as the Kaiserdom ("Imperial Cathedral"), is a Roman Catholic church in Aachen.

Chapel of Grace, in Altötting, Bavaria. The first miracles attributed to praying to the Virgin Mother at this shrine were reported to have taken place in 1489.

Chapel of Grace in Kevelaer, North Rhine-Westphalia, site of an "Image of Grace" (Gnadenbild) of St.Mary since the Thirty Years' War.


Our Lady of Europe at Europa Point, the southernmost point in Western Europe. A shrine to Mary has existed on the site since 1462.


Our Lady of Tinos, Tinos Island, Greece's patron saint.

Panagia Tripiti, Town of Aigio, Peloponnese

Autonomous Monastic State of the Holy Mountain, Mount Athos, Greece, the garden of the Mother of God being[clarification needed] out of bounds to all other women.

Holy Land

The Basilica of the Annunciation, in Nazareth.

The Church of the Dormition of Our Lady on Mount Zion, in Jerusalem.

The Church of the Tomb of the Virgin Mary in the garden of Gethsemane, in Jerusalem

The Milk Grotto Church of Virgin Mary in Bethlehem


Our Lady of Lourdes shrine Perambur ( Chennai - Tamil Nadu )

Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto, Chinnathurai, Tamil Nadu

Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health, Vailankanni, Tamil Nadu

Poondi Matha Bascillica, Poondi, Tamil Nadu

Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine, Villianur, Puducherry

Our Lady of Lourdes, Pudur shrine, Madurai, Tamil Nadu

National Shrine of Our Lady of Ransom, Vallarpadam, Cochin, Kerala

Our Lady of Dolours Basilica, Thrissur, Kerala

Basilica of Our Lady of Snow (Manjumatha), Pallipport, Pallippuram, Ernakulam, Kerala

Korattymuthy Our Lady with Poovan Bananas, Shrine of Hail Mary, Koratty, Kerala

St. Mary's Forane Church, Chalakudy, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Chalakudy, Kerala

Our Lady of Snows Basilica, Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu

Our Lady of Remedies, Vasai, Maharashtra

Our Lady of Bandel Church, Chinsurah, West Bengal

Our Lady of Sand, Sokkankudieruppu, Tamil Nadu

Our Lady of Snow Kallikulam (Our Lady of Snow Church, Kallikulam), Tamil Nadu

Our Lady of La Salette, Maravapatty pudur, Salethmatha in Tamil, Tamil Nadu

Shrine Of Our Lady Of Health, Hyderabad

Our Lady of Mount, Bandra-Mumbai (Maharashtra)

Our Lady of Mahim Church, Mumbai (Maharashtra)

Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto, Seminary Hills, Nagpur (Maharashtra)

Gunadala Marymatha, 'St Mary's' Church, Vijayawada', Andhra Pradesh

Nirmalagiri Marymatha Shrine, Nirmalagiri(Gowripatnam), Andhra Pradesh

Goavari Marymatha shrine, Vegeswarapuram, Andhra Pradesh

Allipalli Mariamatha Shrine, Allipalii, Andhra Pradesh


St. Mary's Church Meenangadi


The Basilica of Our Lady, Queen of Ireland in Knock, Ireland


Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, Rome, home of the Salus Populi Romani icon

Holy Mary of Third Millennium at Three Fountains, Rome[5]

Sanctuary and Sacro Monte di Oropa, Biella, Piedmont

Santuario di Barbana, Grado, Friuli-Venezia Giulia

Sanctuary of Macereto, Parco Nazionale dei Monti Sibillini, Marche

Santa Maria in Aracoeli, Rome

Shrine of Our Lady of Bonaria, Cagliari, Sardinia

Our Lady of the Rosary of Pompei, Pompei, Campania

Shrine of the Holy House, Loreto, Marche

Sanctuary of Our Lady of Montallegro, Rapallo, Liguria

Sanctuary of Madonna dei Miracoli, Motta di Livenza, Veneto

Shrine of Santa Maria del Fonte, Caravaggio, Lombardia


Our Lady of Akita, Akita, Japan


Gamgok Our Lady of the Rosary Church, Gamgok-myeon, Eumseong-gun im North Chungcheong Province


Our Lady of Bechouat, a Marian sanctuary in the Beqaa Valley of Lebanon.

Our Lady of Bekaa, a Marian shrine located in Zahlé, Lebanon with panoramic views of the Beqaa Valley.

Our Lady of the Waterfall, a Marian shrine in Jezzine, Lebanon

Our Lady of Lebanon, a Marian shrine in Harissa, Lebanon

Our Lady of Light, a Marian chapel in Centre Ville, Beirut in Lebanon

Our Lady of Lourdes Monument, Ain Ebel, Lebanon

Our Lady of Mantara, a Marian shrine in Maghdouché, Lebanon

Our Lady of Miziara, Mother of Mercies, Zgharta, Lebanon

Our Lady of Nourieh, a Marian shrine and monastery atop Theoprosopon in Hamat, Lebanon.

Our Lady of the Wind, Enfeh, Lebanon


Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn in Vilnius, Lithuania

Pivasiunai, Lithuania

Siluva, Lithuania

Trakai, Lithuania

Žemaičių Kalvarija, Lithuania


Our Lady of Consecration, zone of Girgenti, Siġġiewi

Our Lady of Borg in-Nadur, Borġ in-Nadur, Qajjenza, Birżebbuġa

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Sanctuary, Valletta

Old Parish Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Birżebbuġa

Parish Church of the Annunciation, Tarxien

Parish Church of the Annunciation, Balzan

Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception, Ħamrun

Parish Church of Maria Regina, Marsa

Parish Church of Monte Carmele, Fgura

Parish Church of Monte Carmele, Fleur-de-Lys, Birkirkara

Parish Church of Monte Carmele, Gżira

Parish Church of Monte Carmele, Balluta Bay, San Ġiljan

Parish Church of Our Lady of Fátima, Gwardamanġia, Pietà

Parish Church of Our Lady of Loreto, Għajnsielem

Parish Church of Our Lady of Lourdes, Paola

Parish Church of Our Lady of Lourdes, San Ġwann

Parish Church of Our Lady of Porto Salvo, Valletta

Parish Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, San Pawl il-Baħar

Parish Church of the Sacred Heart of Mary, Burmaradd

Parish Church of St Mary, Dingli

Parish Church of St Mary, Għaxaq

Parish Church of St Mary, Gudja

Parish Church of St Mary, Mġarr

Parish Church of Our Lady Star of the Sea, Sliema

Rotonda of St. Mary, Mosta

Parish Church of St Mary, Mqabba

Parish Church of St Mary, Qrendi

Parish Church of St Mary, Birkirkara

Parish Church of St Mary, Attard

Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception, Ħamrun

Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception, Ta' L-Ibrag

Parish Church of Our Lady of Pompey, Marsaxlokk

Church of Our Lady of Angels, Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq, Naxxar

Church of Our Lady of Liesse, Valletta

Church of Our Lady of Mensija, Mensija, San Ġwann

Church of Our Lady of Mercy, Bir id-Deheb

Church of Our Lady of Montserrat, Birgu

Church of Our Lady of Good Council, Żejtun

Church of Our Lady of Victory, Birkirkara

Church of the Immaculate Conception, Msida, Malta

Chapel of the Immacualte Conception, Bengħisa, Birżebbuġa

Knisja ta' Santa Marija ta' Bubaqra, Żurrieq

Knisja ta' Santa Marija ta' Ħal-Muxi, Żebbu

Knisja tal-Madonna ta' Filfla, Filfla island near Żurrieq

Knisja tal-Madonna tal-Girgenti, Siġġiewi

Knisja tal-Madonna tal-Ġebla, Gżira

Knisja tal-Madonna tal-Ħerba, Birkirkara

Knisja tal-Madonna tal-Ħlas, Qormi

Knisja tal-Madonna tal-Karmnu, Mdina

Knisja tal-Madonna tal-Mirakli, Lija

Knisja tal-Madonna tas-Samra, Ħamrun

Knisja tal-Madonna tas-Silġ, Delimara[disambiguation needed]

Kappella tal-Madonna tal-Midalja Mirakuluża, Blata l-Bajda

Knisja ta' Santa Marija tal-Ħlas, Żejtun

Santwarju tal-Madonna tal-Ghar, Rabat

Santwarju tal-Madonna ta' Pinu, Għarb, Gozo

The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Mellieħa in Mellieħa

Knisja ta' Marija Bambina, Senglea

Knisja ta' Marija Bambina, Naxxar

The Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Cospicua

The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Graces, Żabbar

Knisja ta Marija Bambina Imtahleb - Ir-Rabat

Knisja tal-Immkalulata Kuncizzjoni- Il-Kuncizzjoni L/O Rabat

Knisja tal-Immakulata Kuncizzjoni- Palazzo Gomerino L/O Rabat

Knisja ta; Santa Marija-Tal-Virtu', Ir-Rabat

Knisja ta; Santa Marija-( Ta Duna) Ir-Rabat

Knisja ta Marija Annunzjata (Il-Lunzjata) Ir-Rabat

Knisja tat- twelid ta; Marija (Tas-Salib) Ir-Rabat

KNisja tat-twelid tal-Madonna (Ta' Qasha') Ir-Rabat

Knisja ta Santa Marija ta Gesu (Ta'Giezu) Ir-Rabat


Chapel of Our Lady of Good Health (Annai Vailankanni) Kampung Pandan Kuala Lumpur


The Basilica of Guadalupe in Mexico City, Mexico

Basilica of San Juan de los Lagos in San Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco, Mexico

Basilica of Our Lady of Zapopan, Zapopan, Jalisco


Our Lady of the Rocks, Perast


Our Lady Star of the Sea, Maastricht

Our Lady the Sweet Mother, 's-Hertogenbosch, St. John's Cathedral

Our Lady of Handel, Handel

The Lady of All Nations, Amsterdam

Our Lady Wealth of Joys, Oirschot

Basilica of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Sittard

Our Lady at Peril, Heiloo

Our Lady of the Enclosed Garden, Warfhuizen

Our Lady under the Limes, Uden

Our Lady of Ommel, Ommel

Our Lady under the Limes, Thorn

Our Lady of Frieswijk, Schalkhaar

Our Lady of Oud-Zevenaar, Oud Zevenaar

Our Lady of Bolsward, Bolsward

Our Lady of Leeuwarden, Leeuwarden

Our Lady ter Weeghe, Haastrecht

Our Lady of the sand, Roermond

Our Lady of Schilberg, Echt

Our Lady of Haarlem, Haarlem

Our Lady of Eiteren, IJsselstein

Our Lady in the Oak, Meerveldhoven

Our Lady of Aarle-Rixtel, Aarle-Rixtel


San Francisco de Cuapa

Catedral de León (Nicaragua)


National Marian Shrine, Mariamabad


Virgen de los Remedios de Pampanga, Patrona de la Pampanga, Arzopispado de Pampanga, Archdiocese of San Fernando, San Fernando, Pampanga

National Shrine of Our Lady of Covadonga, Nuestra Senora de Covadonga Reina del Rosario Santissimo de La Trinidad, (San Jose Parish Church, Poblacion, La Trinidad, Benguet)

Our Lady, Mary Mediatrix of All Grace, Carmelite Monastery Church, Lipa City, Batangas

Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Caysasay, Taal, Batangas

Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Visitation of Piat, Piat, Cagayan

Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Peñafrancia, Naga City, Camarines Sur

Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Salvation, Joroan, Tiwi, Albay

Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Malolos, Bulacan

Shrine of Mary Queen of Peace (EDSA Shrine), Mandaluyong City

Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Manila

Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Loreto, Sampaloc, Manila

Archdiocesan Shrine of Nuestra Seňora de Guia, Ermita, Manila

Nuestra Señora de Peñafrancia de Manila, Paco, Manila

Basilica of Our Lady of Manaoag, Manaoag, Pangasinan

National Shrine of Mary Help of Christians, Better Living Subdivision, Parañaque City

National Shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help, Baclaran, Parañaque City

Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Pasig City

National Shrine of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, New Manila, Quezon City

Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Mercy, Novaliches, Quezon City

National Shrine of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary of La Naval de Manila (Santo Domingo Church), Quezon City

National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, Quezon City

National Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, Antipolo City, Rizal

Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Aranzazu, San Mateo, Rizal

Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Abandoned, Marikina City

Our Lady of the Pillar, Fort Pilar, Zamboanga City, Zamboanga del Sur

National Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima, Marulas, Valenzuela City

Our Lady of Charity, Bantay, Ilocos Sur

Assumption of Mary, Santa Maria, Ilocos Sur

Our Lady of Good Success, Cathedral Parish of St. Andrew, Parañaque

Our Lady of Immaculate Concepcion, Parish Church, Dasmariñas, Cavite

National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette, Biga II, Silang, Cavite

Nuestra Señora de la Soledad de Porta Vaga, San Roque Church Cavite City. *Basilica of Our Lady of Charity , Agoo, La Union


The Black Madonna of Częstochowa in Jasna Góra Monastery, Częstochowa, Poland

The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lichen in Licheń Stary, Poland

Kodeń, The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Kodeń, Poland

Różanystok, The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Różanystok, Poland

Brdów, The Sanctuary of Victoriaus Our Lady of Brdów, Poland

Stoczek Klasztorny, The Sanctuary Our Lady of Stoczek, Poland

Basilica of Omni-mediatress of All Glories, Niepokalanów

Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Krzeszów, Krzeszów, Lower Silesian Voivodeship

Marian Sanctuaries in Poland



Relic or Object


Church of the Visitiation of our Lady. Redemptorists

Sculpture of our lady from the 12th century ., crowned July 3, 1966. (abp Bolesław Kominek)


Church of the Immaculate Conception

Icon of Our Lady of Będkow from the 15th century.


Church of the Immaculate Conception Paulists

Icon of Our Lady of Joy MB from the 15th century crowned September 12, 1976. by (cardinal. Stefan Wyszyński)

Stara Błotnica

Church of the Immaculate Conception

Icon of Our Lady from the 16th century crowned in 1977.


Church of St. Nicholas

Icon of Our Lady from the 15th-16th century, crowned in 1931.

Borek Stary

Monastery of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

obraz MB Borkowskiej z Dzieciątkiem, crowned on the August 15, 1919


Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fátima in Fátima, Portugal

Sanctuary of Our Lady of Sameiro in Braga, Portugal

Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lapa, in Sernancelhe, Portugal

Sanctuary of Our Lady of Good Health, Póvoa de Varzim, Portugal


Shrine of Mary Comforter of the Afflicted, Șumuleu Ciuc


Fyodorovskaya Church, Yaroslavl


Shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows, Kibeho


Marianka, Malacky District


Đunis Monastery, Đunis, central Serbia

Krušedol monastery, Fruška Gora, Vojvodina province

Studenica Monastery, central Serbia

South Africa

Ngome Marian Shrine, KwaZulu-Natal


The National Shrine Mary Help of Christians at Brezje

The mantled Virgin Mary - the protector from Ptujska Gora

Church of Our Lady of Mercy on Zaplaz

Basilica of St. Mary, Mother of God at Sveta Gora

Basilica of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary in Petrovče


The Sanctuary of Chandavila, in La Codosera, Extremadura

The Sanctuary of Black Virgin of Montserrat, in Montserrat, Catalonia

The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Covadonga, in Picos de Europa, Asturias

The Sanctuary of Saint Mary of Guadalupe, in Province of Cáceres, Extremadura

The Basilica of Our Lady of the Pillar, in Zaragoza, Aragón

The Shrine of Our Lady of Rocío, in Andalucia

The Basilica and Sanctuary of Our Lady of Candelaria, Tenerife, Canary Islands

The Shrine of Our Lady of Mount Carmel of Garabandal, in Cantabrian Mountains

The Shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows of Umbe, in Laukiz, near Bilbao, Biscay

The Benedictine Sanctuary of Valvanera, in La Rioja

The Basilica of Begoña in Bilbao

Sri Lanka

Basilica of Our Lady of Lanka, in Tewatte, Ragama

Shrine of Our Lady of Madhu in Mannar district

Shrine of Our Lady of Matara in Matara


Shrine of Our Lady of Einsiedeln, Einsiedeln

Madonna del Sasso, Orselina


Convent of Our Lady of Saidnaya, Saidnaya


House of the Virgin Mary in Ephesus, Turkey, believed to be the place where Mary was taken to by St. John and lived until the Assumption

Church of Mary in Ephesus, Turkey, in which the Council of Ephesus (the Third Ecumenical Council) was held in 431

Life-giving Spring in Istanbul, a famous spring associated with the healing powers of the Theotokos, the feast of which is celebrated on the Friday after Easter.


Dzhublyk, Zakarpattia Oblast

Pochayiv Lavra in Ukraine

The Basilica of the Most Holy Theotokos of Zarvanytsia, Ukraine

United Kingdom

Ladyewell Shrine: St Mary's at Fernyhalgh and Ladyewell - The Shrine of Our Lady and the Martyrs, Fulwood, Lancashire, England

Our Lady of Ipswich in Ipswich, England

Anglican shrine and Roman Catholic "national shrine" of Our Lady of Walsingham in Walsingham, England[6]

Shrine of Our Lady of Egmanton in Egmanton, Nottinghamshire, England

Our Lady of the Taper in Cardigan, Wales

Shrine of Our Lady of Caversham, near Reading in Berkshire

Shrine of Our Lady, Bradstowe

Shrine of Our Lady in Penrhys, Wales

Shrine of the Miraculous Relic Image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, The Holy Child & St. Joseph Catholic Church, Bedford, England

Our Lady of Doncaster in Doncaster, England

Our Lady of Westminster in Westminster Cathedral, London

Anglican Church and original Shrine of Our Lady of Willesden, Willesden, London

Roman Catholic Church and Shrine of Our Lady of Willesden, Willesden, London

Church and Shrine of Our Lady of the Assumption and St Gregory (also known as "Church of the Assumption" and "Warwick Street Church"), London

United States

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Basilica of the National Shrine of the; in Baltimore, Maryland

Black Madonna Shrine and Grottos, in Jefferson County, Missouri

Blessed Virgin Mary, Shrine of the; in Holy Name of Jesus Church, San Francisco, California

Holy Hill National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians, Basilica of; in Erin, Wisconsin

Immaculate Conception, Basilica of the National Shrine of the; in Washington, D.C.

Immaculate Heart of Mary, National Blue Army Shrine of the; in Washington, New Jersey (see Blue Army of Our Lady of Fátima#Blue Army Shrine)

Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine, National Shrine of; in Orlando, Florida

Necedah Shrine, an interdicted Marian shrine in Necedah, Wisconsin.

Our Lady of Consolation, Basilica and National Shrine of, in Carey, Ohio

Our Lady of Czestochowa, National Shrine of; in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

Our Lady of Fátima shrine in Franklin Furnace, Ohio

Our Lady of Good Help, Shrine of; Brown County, Wisconsin

Our Lady of Guadalupe, Shrine of; in LaCrosse, Wisconsin

Our Lady of the Island, Shrine of; in Manorville, New York

Our Lady of La Salette, National Shrine of; in Attleboro, Massachusetts

Our Lady of Lebanon, National Shrine of; North Jackson, Ohio

Our Lady of Loreto, in Goliad, Texas

Our Lady of Lourdes, in Emmitsburg, Maryland

Our Lady of Lourdes Belmont Abbey, Charlotte, North Carolina. http://belmontabbeycollege.edu/about/community/

Our Lady of Lourdes, National Shrine of; in Euclid, Ohio

Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto located on the grounds of St. Francis Seminary, in St. Francis, Wisconsin

Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto located on the campus of the University of Notre Dame, in Notre Dame, Indiana

Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto maintained by the Missionary Association of Mary Immaculate in San Antonio, Texas

Our Lady of Martyrs, Shrine of, Auriesville, New York (also known as the National Shrine of the North American Martyrs)

Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal, National Shrine of; in Perryville, Missouri

Our Lady of Mount Carmel, National Shrine of; in Middletown, New York

Our Lady of Peace Shrine, in Santa Clara, California

Our Lady of Prompt Succor, in New Orleans, Louisiana

Our Lady of the Rockies, in Butte, Montana

The Official Our Lady of the Roses, Mary Help of Mothers at Bayside, New York

Our Lady of the Snows, National Shrine of, in Belleville, Illinois

Our Lady of Sorrows, Shrine of; in Rhineland, Missouri

Our Lady of Walsingham for the Episcopal Church, National Shrine to; Grace Church, Sheboygan, Wisconsin

Our Sorrowful Mother, National Sanctuary of; in Portland, Oregon

Queen of the Holy Rosary Memorial Shrine (in memory of military veterans) in LaSalle, Illinois

Saint Mary, Cathedral of, in Miami, Florida

Schoenstatt Marian Shrine, in Madison, Wisconsin


Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of the Thirty-Three, Florida


The Shrine of Our Lady of Betania, in the State of Miranda, Venezuela

Our Lady of Coromoto, Guanare, Venezuela

Our Lady of the Rosary of Chiquinquirá, Zulia, Venezuela


Our Lady of La Vang in Quảng Trị, Vietnam

Notre-Dame de Tà Pao in Binh Thuan, Vietnam

Rectors of Shrine

since 1929 till now

1929 till 1936

Fr. Francis MENHEM

1936 till 1942

Fr. Boulos EL SOKHEN

1942 till 1945

Fr. Hanna GHOSEN

1945 till 1951

Fr. Maroun ANDARY

1951 till 1954

Fr. Boulos EL SOKHEN

1954 till 1959

Fr. Boutros CHALHOUB & Fr. Elias NOHRA EDDEH

1959 till 1966


1966 till 1977

Fr. Boulos NAJEM & Fr. Kamil Antoun

1983 till 1989

Fr. Kamil ANTOUN & Fr. Philippe YAZBECK, Arthur MHANNA, Philippe SEAIBY

1989 till 1995

Fr. Boulos NAJEM & Fr. Younen OBEID, Hannoun ANDRAOS, Kamil ANTOUN, Maurice BOUEIZ, Emil EDDEH, Hanni CHLELA, Michel CHEBLY, Andreh STEPHAN, Elie ANDARY

1995 till 2001

Fr. Hanni CHLELA & Fr. Boulos NAJEM, Asaad EL BASHA, Ghassan MATTAR, Micehl CHEBLI, Maurice BOUEIZ, Elie ANDARY, Miled SKAYEM, Youhanna charbel BOU ZAKHEM, Jack NKOULAS, Edmond RIZKALLAH, Boulos HABBOUCH, Georges TERES, Georges KEYROUZ

2001 till 2004

Fr. Hannoun ANDRAOS & Fr. Georges KEYROUZ, Emile EDDEH, Elias ANDARY, Maroun HAREB, Fady TABET

2004 till 2007

Fr. Hannoun ANDRAOS & Fr. Elias ANDARY, Philippe SEAAYBI, Emile EDDEH, Maroun HAREB, Antoine DERJANI, Sami RACHED, Gaby GEAAGEAA, Chabel HABCI, Youhanna Yechouh EL KHOURY, Sami CHAAYA, Elie ANDRAOS

2007 till 2013

Fr. Khalil ALWAN & fr. Younen OBEID,  Sami RACHED, Antonios BAZOUNY, Saiid IRANY, Youhanna Yechouh EL KHOURY, Elie ANDRAOS

2013 till NOW

fr. Younen OBEID & Fr. Khalil ALWAN,  Sami RACHED, Antonios BAZOUNY, Saiid IRANY, Youhanna Yechouh EL KHOURY, Elie ANDARY Habib KALAKECH